Friday, April 22, 2011

Tuchek Reading Lesson #1

TE 402 READING LESSON PLAN

Reading Lesson Plan # 1

Your Name: Haley Tuchek Grade Level: 4th

Date lesson was taught: March 28th, 2011 Number of Students: 2

1) Rationale (What evidence do you have that your focus students need to learn this skill/strategy?):

My focus students, C and E, have trouble identifying new words and broadening their vocabulary acquisition. I’ve noticed several times that when I’m reading one-on-one with C and E, that they’ll come to a new word that they don’t recognize and instead of sounding it out like the rest of their peers do, they’ll instead just say a random word that contains some of the same letters. For example, if C came across the unfamiliar word “vendor” he would pause in his reading then quickly say the familiar word “venture” and continue on. Their lack of phonemic awareness and phonics is an area of literacy that should’ve been targeted early on, but for some reason or another, C and E both struggle when it comes to making connections between letter names and sounds which is a very important area to tackle when it comes to literacy.

2) List which reading skill/strategy is the main focus of your lesson (select ONE area):

Phonemic Awareness/Phonics (Emergent Literacy, Tompkins chapter 4 & 5)

3) Objective for this lesson (performance, condition, criteria):

Performance: Students will correctly identify letter names and sounds.

Conditions: Students will recite the correct letter, sound, or word back to me.

Criterion: Students must not miss more than 5 questions in any section.

4) Materials & supplies needed:

-CORE Phonics Survey (Student Material)

-CORE Phonics Survey (Teacher Guide)

-pencil

5) OUTLINE OF LESSON PLAN (Provide a bulleted list of ideas):

Introduction to the lesson

-“Today we are going to do a quick little survey that’s going to help me see what you know about letters and the sounds that letters make. This is a newer type of survey so you’re one of the first students at Midway to test it out, which means you’re going to have to let me know what you think of it.”

-Show student what the “Student Material” survey looks like, flip through the pages so they get a general idea of what I’m going to ask of them.

-“Some of the questions I’m going to ask you may seem a little silly and easy to answer, but it’s just a fun way to get your brain warmed up!”

(5 minutes)

OUTLINE of key events during the lesson

-“In these first two sections, I’m going to point to either the uppercase letter or the lowercase letter and all you have to do is tell me the names of the letters.”

-Students will (hopefully) recite back to me the correct letter(s) since these first two sections (Part A and B) are very primary. Record students’ results to letter names (uppercase) and letter names (lowercase) in the Teacher Guide.

-“I told you some of the questions would be silly! Now Part C is a little different and instead of telling me what letter I’m point to, you are going to tell me the sound that the letter makes.”

-Record students’ results to consonant sounds in the Teacher Guide.

-“This next section, Part D, is similar to the one you just did but this time you are going to tell me the sound each vowel makes.”

-Students will most likely either give me the long or short vowel sound (probably not both), so I will ask, “Can you tell me another sound for this letter?” Record students’ results to vowel sounds in the Teacher Guide.

-In order to encourage the students to keep doing their best and give them a little positive feedback, I’ll say, “You’re doing so well! Thanks for helping me out with this survey. Now the next few sections, Parts E through K, have real words in them and made-up words. The made-up words may look at sound a little funny so don’t try to make them sound like real words, but instead just try to sound them out like you would for any other unfamiliar word.”

-Instead of moving my finger across the sections like I did for Parts A-D, I’ll have the student use his own finger and move left to right starting at the top row in case he needs to move at his own pace (I don’t want to rush him).

-If the student is having difficulty with the pseudowords, I’ll make sure to reiterate that he should “sound out the words and not try to make them sound like real words.”

-Record students’ results to: short vowels in CVC words, consonant blends with short vowels, short vowels, digraphs, and –tch trigraphs, r-controlled vowels, long vowel spellings, variant vowels, and low frequency vowel and consonant spellings in the Teacher Guide.

-“We’re almost done! For this last section, Part L, I’m going to have you read aloud down the first column of words which are all real words and have two syllables.”

-I’ll point to the first column so the student isn’t confused on where to begin.

-Record students’ results to multisyllabic words in the Teacher Guide. If the student can read at least 5 out of the 8 words in the first column, then I’ll say, “Great job! Now we’re going to move on to the second column and just like the first column, I’m going to have you read aloud the words which are all real and have two syllables.”

-Record students’ results to multisyllabic words in the Teacher Guide. If the student can read at least 5 out of the 8 words in the second column, then I’ll say, “Perfect! Now we’re going to move on to the last column and just like the first two columns, I’m going to have you read aloud the words except this time the words are made-up so remember to not try and make them sound like real words!”

-Record students’ results to multisyllabic words in the Teacher Guide.

(15-25 minutes)

Closing summary for the lesson

-“Like I said before, this is a relatively new survey so you are one of the first students at Midway to take it. How did you like it? Was it too easy? Too hard?” What sections or parts were the most difficult for you?” This question will help me see if there is any correlation between the students’ survey results and their attitude(s).

-“When you were stuck on an unfamiliar or made-up word, what strategy did you use to figure out how to say it?”

-If the students don’t have any good or clear explanation or strategies, I’ll suggest some that they might be able to use in the future such as sounding out the word, breaking it apart into smaller fragments, or breaking it apart into familiar words.

-At this time, I’d like to find out if the students enjoyed the survey, thought it was too hard/too easy, the strategies they used, and what they found the most difficult (I’m predicting the pseudowords will be the most challenging because the students won’t be able to locate their pronunciation in their memory).

-“Thank you for all your help! Now you will be able to use some of the strategies we talked about whenever you come across an unfamiliar word that you don’t recognize to help you figure out how to pronounce it.”

(5-10 minutes)

6) Ongoing-Assessment:

-I will observe both C and E during Reading Workshop time and see what books they decide to silent read; see if they’re challenging themselves or reading at, below, or above their individual reading levels.

-I will read with C and E both one-on-one and take mental notes of what strategies they decide to use when they come across an unfamiliar word(s).

-Lastly, I’ll check in with my CT over the next couple of weeks and see if she sees any improvement in either C or E’s reading and if they are utilizing any of the reading strategies I discussed with them (CT may even re-administer the CORE Phonics Survey).

7) Based on what you know about your focus students, what Academic, Social and/or Linguistic Support will be needed during the lesson?

-I will make sure to administer the CORE Phonics Survey to C and E individually so that they will both get one-on-one time and not be distracted by their peer’s answer(s).

-I will work with both focus students at the back table during Reading Workshop so they are away from their classmates and the room will be relatively quiet and busy.

-By administering directions before each section, I’ll ensure that the students know exactly what they’re being asked to do and they’ll be able to move at their own pace.

-C sometimes has trouble focuses his attention on school and would rather than just socialize, so before I begin the lesson I’ll make sure that I have his full attention and I’ll gain in through the introduction to the lesson (he’ll be excited that he is one of the lucky few that get to work with me one-on-one)

-E sometimes has trouble opening up and feeling comfortable, so to break him out of his shell I’ll get him excited about the lesson during the introduction and try to show him that it’ll be fun (nothing is graded, just for the benefit of my own learning).

No comments:

Post a Comment