Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Craft Reading Lessons Overview

For my first lesson I am going to be working with Adam and Kelly. After learning about this assignment I asked my CT what students she thought would benefit from some extra practice on a topic. She picked these two students and told me that while the class is reading as a whole these two students have trouble following along and then have trouble discussing what had happened in the story. Because of this I wanted to design a lesson when I would be reading out loud to the two students but where I would be able to scaffold their thinking as the story was happened. I decided to do a lesson on predicting where I would work with the two students as I was reading a story to better understand the elements of the story and how those elements all come together to allow us to predict what will happen at the end.

For my second lesson I am going to be working with Alex and Sarah. These two students are very average when it comes to reading. They get good grades and are good readers. Because of this I sometimes do not feel as if they are challenged enough. Many of the students in my placement are behind grade level when it comes to reading and because of this my CT spends most of the time trying to catch them up. There are a few students in the class that I would say are more advanced then Alex and Sarah but, as my CT has told me before, these other students work perfectly fine without much help from the teacher whereas Alex and Sarah still benefit from extra help. For these two students I chose to do a lesson on connecting where they will make text-to-text, text-to-self, and text-to-world connections. I think this will be a good lesson for these two students because it will give them a chance to work outside of their comfort zone with help and support from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment