Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Germane Reflection 1

Reading Lesson Plan #1 Reflection on Comprehension:

As Chandler, Ashley, and I read the book, I noticed that Ashley is a much slower reader than Chandler. She would get stuck on sight-words, and read the text very choppy. Sometimes she would even take long pauses as if she was trying to figure out the word, even though she had successfully said it on a previous page. Chandler was a little bit better reader; he was able to decode all of the words, but still read at a slower pace than what his other classmates have shown. Despite this difference, both students were very patient with each other as they were reading. When we got to the worksheet, Ashley took a longer time than Chandler to complete each question. Since I wanted to complete the worksheet together, Chandler had to wait for Ashley to finish her answer before moving on. A couple times I caught Chandler moving on to the next question and filling in the answer before we had finished the previous one together. Although I asked him to wait, looking back on it I should have just let them complete the worksheet at their own pace. It wasn’t fair for Chandler to have to sit and wait patiently while Ashley was slowly writing out her answers. After they were done with their worksheets, I collected them and they were able to join their class again. To my surprise, Ashley’s answers to the worksheet were almost word for word from the text. I know she didn’t copy from the book because I took them away once they were done reading. This shows that although she struggles with fluency, she is still able to comprehend what she just read. Chandler’s answers were all correct, however he put them in his own words instead of word for word like Ashley did. So he too comprehends the story, but he is able to put them in his own words. As a teacher, I think I did a good job. I was able to facilitate their reading and ask questions as they were reading, as well as help each child through the worksheet even though they worked at different paces. As stated before, the only thing I would change it allowing the children to work at their own pace instead of trying to keep them at the same place.

No comments:

Post a Comment