Monday, March 14, 2011

New Literacy Project

My original plan for the new literacy project was to create a digital storybook or comic strip about visual literacy. However after doing a little research, I quickly became more and more interested in exploring different cultures through these technological means. Evidently, I switched my focus from visual literacy to cultural literacy, and I’ve decided to explore my own heritage more in depth which is Ukrainian. I know the easy way out would’ve been to look into a more popular culture or one that students are familiar with, but I decided to research something that I was actually interested in so that I can use the information I find to better my understanding.

Some of the topics I’ll explore are Ukrainian customs, traditions, celebrations, and basic facts. Since my family is Ukrainian, I already know a little bit about the culture since we celebrate things like Ukrainian Christmas every year but my immediate family doesn’t partake in all of the customs/traditions like my other relatives do. After conducting a little research on the internet, I found out that things I’ve grown up with my whole life are actually Ukrainian things such as the food we eat (perogies, borscht, kapusniak, paska, etc.) and some the traditions we follow like the painting of the easter eggs and taking them to church to be blessed.

Once I find all the information that I want to include in a presentation, I’m going to use Photo Peach (www.photopeach.com) to create a digital storybook which will help me relay information about Ukraine while also captivating viewers’ attention in a fun and unique way! I’ve already used Photo Peach to create digital storybooks before in previous classes, so I’m already familiar with the website and how to navigate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment