Saturday, February 5, 2011

Digital Native All The Way :)

After reading the short article about Digital Denizens and looking at each type, I am without a doubt a digital native. I have grown up with having either my own computer or using the families computer, I actually cannot remember ever not having one within my family. Even when I went to school there were computers to use, from elementary to high school and now college. I have grown up around technology and because of this I rely on them to do every day tasks. Aside from computers, I also have used or are currently using CD players, iPods, and cell phones. Some of the defining moments with my use of technology was my 6th grade typing class. Everyday we would sit at the computer and learn how to type. I know that my parents did not take a class like this because computers were not as widely used when they were my age. However, a 6th grade typing class proves how important technology is in everyday life because schools are spending time teaching children this. Another prominent moment with the use of technology was 8th grade computer class. During the entire semester we learned how to use Microsoft Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and surf the internet. Our grade was based on how well we knew how to use these different technologies. My world has been surrounded by the use of technology and because of that, I would consider myself a digital native.

Digital literacy is something that I played around with but I was never forced to use it. When using the term digital literacy I am referring to using technology to learn and expand a person's knowledge. In the past, I have only ever used technology to write papers or make Powerpoints for different classes; very rarely have I actually ever used technology to learn. Is this aspect, I would consider myself an emergent learner of digital literacy. However, after watching the short clip in class with all the children saying "engage me", I know that I will need to step it up when it comes to digital literacy if I want to be a successful teacher. In my placement last year the children were able to play on the computers for about 30 minutes while in their computer class. However, it was not just any game they wanted; the children played games that were teaching them about language arts concepts such as rhyming and parts of speech. I was astonished at how engaged they were while playing these games. The placement that I am in now never uses technology, they actually don't even have a computer class. Everything is done by paper and pencil, textbook, and the whiteboard. Sometimes the teachers will bring out the overhead projector. I feel like the students in my placement are missing out on a different learning technique, however it also seems that the paper and pencil technique is working just fine. So this is where I get torn, why bring in technology when paper and pencil learning are still working? Some students and districts do not have enough money for all of the fancy technology that is out there. Does that mean their students are losing out on learning through technology?

In one of my placements a few years ago a young boy from China, who was also LD, was struggling with English and learning the main concepts. The teacher allowed this student to use the computer for most written work because it allowed him to spell check and change words quickly. Within a month or so the young boy was speaking significantly better English and I think that because he was allowed to use the computer, it helped him emerge as a speaker of English. ELL students who struggle with English should be allowed to use technology because it will allow them to practice their English skills faster and better. Teachers and future educators should not be afraid of using technology in the classroom. It has many positive benefits for the students, while at the same time engaging them.

4 comments:

  1. I never realized until reading this article that technology users were categorized. Not only are there 7 different categories but users can consider themselves a digital refugee, digital immigrant, digital native, etc. After reading the information about the digital denizens I feel like I am considered a digital native slowly progressing towards a digital addict. Similar to what Kt said above, I also grew up having a computer and being surrounded by technology. The first computer I remember having was an Apple and the only thing we could do on it was play games. When my family informed me that we were getting a new desktop computer my brother and I were ecstatic. This is also when I was introduced to the internet (dial-up of course), and being able to chat with friends and print anything I saw online. The information I read also considers a person in this category someone who uses technology to execute a wide variety of tasks, which I was becoming real familiar with. Not only was I chatting with friends but I could build my own webpage, play games with my friends, edit and post pictures I had taken, and many other things.

    Because I was introduced to technology at a young age I feel as if sooner or later I will be considered a digital addict. Especially because so much of what we do is either on our laptops or our smart phones I feel as if many, many people heavily rely on technology. We’ve all experienced the one day we left our phones at home, or our laptops couldn’t access the internet, and what do we do? We freak out! I’ll admit that almost everything I do daily has some sort of relation to at least one piece of technology. Because technology has improved at rapid speeds I’m excited to see what’s in our future. Consequently, if we freak out now about losing our phones who knows what’s going to happen with this situation in 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it cmes to categorizing my technology usage I would definitely agree with both of you guys. I also remember my parents bringing home our first computer when I was very young and every since that, I was hooked. My technology involvement during my schooling sounds very similar to KT's. I remember countless Accelorated Reader tests in elementary school, followed by typing classes and introductory classes to Microsoft Office. All of these things combined have given me a very strong technological background.

    KT, I would also have to agree with how you feel about digital literacy. Although I have had all of the experiences listed above, as you described, I haven't really used technology to actually learn. The technology experiences I have had were about teaching me how to use a program, not using the program to learn new information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with all three of you when it comes to categorizing myself and technology usuage. I have a similar upbringing when it comes to technology, whereas I grew up always having a family computer where I played numerous educational games and overtime my computer use was primiarly used for chatting with friends (AOL and AIM) and internet surfing. Like KT mentioned, I recall taking a typing class in 6th grade and you had to be able to correctly type a certain amount of words in a given time period in order to move up "levels". In 7th grade we were required to take a computer software introductory class, and in 8th grade I was part of the yearbook committee so I got to explore technology even more.

    Some of my most vivid memories from elementary school are playing educational computer games in the computer lab, typing stories that go along with handdrawn pictures, and even making presents on the computer for our families. As I read about KT's placement where the students aren't introduced to much technology, I feel sorry that they are missing out on such a fun way of learning and I'm also curious to where you are placed? The classroom, with the overhead projector and paper & pencils, reminds me much of when we were in elementary school which was over 10 years ago (weird!) and it's werid to think that not much has changed in some districts.

    I took CEP416 last semester which is for education majors and is a very informative course on how to integrate technology into lessons and it also introduced many new types of technology that I had no clue was even out there! Since I took this course, I would say I have a good understanding of digital literacy and why it is so important and effective to incorporate into the classroom, but I would still classify myself as an emergent learner of digital literacy because I haven't had the opportunity to put digital literacy to use in my own classroom yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in St. Thomas Aquinas which is a private Catholic school here in East Lansing. And I too took CEP 416 and I loved it!!! Cannot wait to use all of that technology! :)

    ReplyDelete