Sunday, January 16, 2011

Semester Learning Goals- Courtney Yee

This semester I am excited to start learning about new methods and strategies to help my students understand mathematics better. Math has never been my favorite subject, but I have enjoyed it more when I have a teacher who is patient and always willing to help. For my students I dont want to have to push them to like math but rather start off enjoying math. I dont remember learning much math in elementary but I do remember teachers in middle school approaching different strategies in algebra and geometry to help us gain a better understanding.

Although we've all taken math 201 & 202 I feel as if it only helped us learn about different strategies for math. On top of this, I want to learn about new ways to approach math at every grade level, and I also want to learn about how to make math fun and more interesting. Elementary kids enjoy using number lines and small math cubes to help them solve problems but as we get older we dont get to use those anymore. After beginner level math, students are left staring at worksheets to fill out, which might add to the 'boredom' and/or 'annoyance' of math.

Also, I feel as if math classes contain students at every different level. It is going to be hard to accomodate all students who might have trouble adding to the students who are already dividing. This semester I would like to learn about what to do in times like these. In some classes there will be the logical or intelligent students who enjoy the difficulty of math and I would like to learn about ways to deal with these students compared to the students who are left staring at their worksheet.

Language arts was one of my favorite subjects in elementary because I enjoyed anything that had to do with reading and writing. My mom would always get frustrated because I would finish the book that she bought me that very same day, and then I would want another one. I want to pass on this passion for reading to my students. Placements have reminded me that boys are not too fond of reading and writing, so I want to prove to them that this can be fun and interesting. I want to introduce my students to different genres so they know that they can read about practically anything, fiction or nonfiction.

Theres many ways to approach reading and writing at the elementary level but like math, im hoping to be introduced to new methods and strategies. Because reading and writing are required for almost everything, I believe it is crucial for all students to master these, and I would like to learn of ways to push students to make them all advanced readers and writers. In a classroom full of 25 students its going to be hard to concentrate on each individual student, so Id like to learn about different individual assignments and group assignments in these two areas that will help children out.

3 comments:

  1. Courtney, I agree completely that reading and writing are very important for all students to learn because they are a major aspect in almost everything we do as humans. Reading and writing are imperative to accomplish life goals and basically survive in this world. It is the teachers responsibility to teach these concepts so that their students can thrive as they grow older. Because of this, I too would like to learn different strategies and ways to approach teaching both reading and writing. Not all students are going to learn the same way, so being prepared means knowing more than one way to teach a concept. I hope that through this course we will learn multiple ways to teach so our students do not lose out on a major means of communication.

    I specifically see myself teaching in an urban setting because these students do not have a lot of resources at home or outside of school and I believe I can make the biggest impact on a child's life in this particular setting. Students in urban settings are notorious for being "gang" members, participating in drugs and alcohol on a daily basis, and having parents that neglect them and possible abuse them. Learning different ways to teach these types of students will be imperative for me because each of my students will come from totally different backgrounds, so reaching out to them will be different for each student. Some students may need a good book to get out their frustrations while others might enjoy writing poetry; whatever it is, I hope to be able to teach the children about reading and writing so they can look elsewhere instead of the streets. Again, I hope to be able to learn different strategies to teach reading and writing so that in the future I will be able to teach each urban child that comes into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like both of you have stated, I'm also very interested in learning how to structure my lessons to get all of my students involved and interested in reading and writing. Last semester I took TE 448 and I really enjoyed this class. Throughout my own schooling I was never introduced to multicultural texts and it wasn't until I took that class that I really understood how important books can be in a child's life. Becuase these aspects of literacy are so important during this semester I hope to be able to take the new strategies and apply them to all areas of my teaching.

    In all honesty, I haven't given much thought as to which type of setting I would like to teach at. When I first started in the program I wanted to teach first or second grade, but the more classes I take I really find myself interested in older ages, and even middle school. Either way, I feel as if literacy is the building block for all other things and I am really excited to learn how I can become the best teacher in this area

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like all three of you have already stated, I completely agree that literacy is the building block of learning. Most, if not all, learning requires a form of reading and/or writing and I think it is crucial as teachers to acknowledge and recognize the need for this strong foundation. Although it is important for all teachers to place a strong emphasize on reading and writing, I especially think that elementary education teachers need to focus on this particular area. Reading and writing are introduced to students at a young age, and within the first few years (kindergarden, 1st, 2nd, 3rd...) of schooling, students will either discover that reading/writing come easily to them or that they struggle in this content area.

    Since my minor is Integrated Language Arts, I strongly support literacy being addressed early on through interesting lessons and creative outlets. Like most of you have already stated, I too am very passionate about reading and writing and I give much credit to my elementary education teachers and my mom who constantly introduced new books and genres to me at a very young age. With saying that, I can most see myself teaching in a lower elementary classroom such as 2nd or 3rd grade.

    ReplyDelete